Words

Words

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Down Time


Why I need down time--I went to work yesterday. Normally, I have fun at work. I enjoy meeting people, talking with them, serving them. It's easy. It's fun. But, half way through my shift I realized I must have not had enough down time away from the public over the weekend. I just wanted to shake someone. Well, someone specifically.


The young, mambie pambie grandmother who came in with her 2 year old granddaughter and 4 year old grandson. She ordered. I served. Three drinks. A pint size diet coke for her and two kid size drinks. As I served the drinks she asked if we had sippy cups or kid size cups with straws and lids.

I WORK IN A BEER PUB/RESTAURANT, remember? Okay, so back to grandma. "No," I replied, "not really." "Well, she replied, you better be ready for spills," not in the nicest tone while smiling at me.


I refrained from rolling my eyes. Better yet, I refrained from reaching across the table and smacking her upside the head. I know this sounds extreme, but really come on now! Push the glass back from the kids reach. Help them drink out of it. Or better yet, bring your own damn sippy cup to the brewery. Ya think?


So, on top of all this, her little 2 year old wouldn't eat what had been ordered for her. So grandma ordered her something else to eat. Another plate of something for little Ms. Picky, (dubbed by grandma) which also was not eaten. So, she packaged up the left-overs, the to-go order she asked for, the 6 pack, and the two kids and left. I just came home and took a 3 hour nap. Okay, maybe I was tired, as well as needing a break from the public.


But back at work today...


I managed to bop a customer along side his head with a menu when he mentioned "white power" and the assassination of Kennedy, as our new president strode along in his motorcade. Trust me, he got off lightly. But, that is another post entirely.

No comments: