Words

Words

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

When Will I Learn?

I am guilty of opening my mouth and inserting foot, again. Of course, I realized it eventually but not soon enough - as in before hand. Damn. I just feel so dumb, because I know better! I got caught, while being extremely busy at work "thinking aloud." Inserting foot into mouth syndrome happens to increase for me proportionately when I am a bit flustered or frustrated. For reasons of wanting to remain employed, let's just say I was running yesterday and people are just not very patient these days.

I have cut back at work on the "chatter," when busy - now I try to just smile and say hello...not ask people how they are. (Is it just me, or does that sound somehow not exactly right, either?) But now, obviously I need to work on the inner chatter - and remember to keep it that way!

Forgive me, those who overheard me. I'm sure, once again, I've left them wondering just how my brain works - or doesn't!

1 comment:

Maria said...

I have learned at work that there are people who you should NEVER ask "How are you? Because they feel compelled to tell you every last thing down to the dream they had last night.

And I have also learned the art of grabbing up the telephone and calling the weather forecast when I see them walking down the hall near my office. I try to look very, very busy and smile and nod vaguely. It works...