Words

Words

Monday, May 18, 2009

Lost *Anonymosity


In November of 2006, I arrived in Washington and I only knew two people besides my ex. Slowly, gradually, as I began working, going to Curves, taking the dogs for a walk, I began to meet people.
This was not like my home in Costa Mesa, where everywhere I went I ran into people I knew. Anonymity was a non-existent state of being. I had lived and worked there for 15 years. I had taken classes, taught classes, attended meetings, I had a favorite coffee shop. My hair stylist, my doctor, my chiropractor, and mechanic were all within 5 minutes of my home. It was there I cultivated my massage clients and lived my life.

Fast forward to winter, spring, and really most of 2007 and 2008. I knew very few people. Very few people knew me. When heading out to Trader Joe's, I never ran into people I knew. It was almost similar to being on vacation - where you can assume a goofy identity at the bar if you so choose just to mess with strangers. Now, I didn't do that, but I kind of grew to enjoy my new found state of feeling like a tourist.

Back home, I was so tired of living in a relationship that was harmful to me, yet trying to make it appear to be okay. I dreaded anyone asking me about it. Or even asking me how I was, because isn't our "state" inevitably tied to our heart? I was tired of the people who knew I had been doing massage therapy for ten years asking me I needed to "practice" (give them a freebie). Let me say, this was usually the same handful of idiots again and again. Or the ones that ask when you are going to have a baby (hello, read-over 40, infertile and married to cheap, selfish person) or adopt. You know those endless questions, waaaay personal, but still those you see at aerobics every week always ask.

So, back to me enjoying my new anonymous state, I did. I really did! But, now I have a life. I've built a new one. One that I quite enjoy and am proud of my new found happiness. Don't mind those menacing questions as much as I did prior. In fact, the funny thing is, because the quality of my daily life is so good, other than to tell you just that, I don't have much to report. I'm happy, we're happy, school is hard, and work is fun but work. My children are all furry and feathered ones that I adore. I get lonely for my family and friends in California, but that's all I miss.

Now onto how I know I've lost my anonymous state. In my Chemistry class is Carla. We got to talking, and I found out she used to be employed by my current employer. The woman I work with is one of her best friends. Go figure! Then, she comes into class today and tells me I even know her mom. Okay, I'll admit I can't imagine who her mom is because really I have a new circle of friends, but it's not all that large. Sure enough, I do! Her mother was at the New Year's Eve party we attended in 2007. She is a co-worker of a friend of ours and well known to my other half. She told her daughter she was going to attend our "wedding" this summer. Of course her daughter made a big fuss, "Oh, you are getting married!? I didn't know that!" So, I kindly filled her in on our plans. Inside, I was laughing loudly because sure enough, people know me here. My *anonymosity here in Washington is nevermore. I'm okay with that.

*Anonymosity-a new word by Jamie! the state of being or functioning as an unknown entity to those around you.

No comments: