Words

Words

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Randomness Reminds


Wow. Life can be so random.

I went into work on Wednesday afternoon looking for my bud, Sarah. I didn't see her truck in the parking lot, I didn't see her sweet face welcoming me to my shift. What I did find is someone who was there to work for her. What the heck? As soon as I asked him why, he told me.

"She is in California, with her sister," he said.

"Yeah, what why is she with Amanda," I asked because I knew she had just been there on vacation just a few weeks back.

"Oh, you didn't hear," he replied.

Then he told me the story. It is so bloody sad, and completely unnecessary and yet it happened. Two days ago, her brother-in-law passed away, two days before that he was "car surfing," and fell off his long board. Only problem is when he fell, he was not wearing a helmet. His head hit the pavement. End of story. Lights out. Done. Gone. Forever.

It's hard to think of the fact that he was an organ donor as a positive thing. He has changed the lives of many people and I'm certain those who have received his gifts look at it that way.

The guy is only 35 with a wife (Sarah's sister) and young daughter. He was professionally successful. He took good care of himself. Worked-out. I'm sure he thought something like this would never happen to him. How could he of, if he'd thought it through and could see what could happen I know he would have never done it.

I'm shocked at all the horrid people who feel free to make wildly inappropriate comments about this accident on-line. I'm shocked at the judgement. I know I am not the only one who has done some really dumb things and lived to tell.

For me, this serves as another reminder to enjoy each day. Look around, find something good. Something beautiful. Refrain from regret, anger, and resentment. Love the little things, love the big things, and one another. Because be it of freak randomness or many years well lived, we all leave this earth the same way.

1 comment:

Al said...

It is sick that people feel the need to comment on everything. We all make mistakes every single day.

Give Sarah a hug from me when you see her.

xoxox