Words

Words

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A-S-S-U-M-E


We all remember the famous explantion from the Bad New Bears, about what happens when we assume, right?
Had a customer yesterday who INSISTED his i-phone was on the table, and then it wasn't. Okay, so I have a wicked visual memory and trust me when I tell you it WAS NOT on his plate that I cleared. Or on that table anywhere else, after they got up and left. If it had been, standard policy, grab it and run like hell to the parking lot to get it back to the patron, espically since I knew they were visiting from Raleigh.
But, noooooooooooooo, he insisted it was on the table. Gloves went on, trash digging, in the grossest most gag me kitchen trash ensued. Gag, gag, gag...even though I knew it was not there, Mrs. Owner insisted. Looked in the bar trash. Piece by piece. He is walking around, calling it with Mrs. Insists phone. Nothing, it's on vibrate.
Manager who removed glasses, and wiped the table down also insisted it was NOT the table. He is starting to question...if someone could have "taken" it.
Can you see where my mind is heading, quickly towards pissed off and get the fuck out of here. No one on our staff would take it. Period.

Twenty minutes later, we are still trash sorting...can ya guess where it was? Did I get an, "Oh, I'm sorry I got so panicked, I don't have it insured????" or a "Sorry, I'm just far away from home?"

Nope. So in this case, the ass didn't assume, but he insisted. It was in one of his pockets.

Do you think adults get shaken baby syndrome? I would have loved to test the theory.

No comments: