Words

Words

Monday, February 9, 2009

Like I Know, It's Not As If...

there isn't Netflix. Movies, series, documentaries all available. Have you gone to abc.go.com lately? You can view The View, Grey's Anatomy, and many other shows right on your laptop.
And still I hesitate. Oh God I'm weak.


My insides, my coolness factor (OMG, yes I actually said that). I like to be up on just a few of the latest things. My pea brain wants to know and see it as unfolds like,"Who killed Jenny?" I want to see Showtimes' unveiling of Nurse Jackie. Love Edie Falco. Not to mention the brain wracking work I'm doing to make it into the field - and love anything that shows all sides of something, even if it is fiction. Yes, I love my Showtime. That, I don't know if I can get on my laptop. Hmmm, research time coming on, but I digress...


I have a memory of my mom watching TV in our curtain draw room in Harbor City the day JFK was shot and killed. She cried, I was two dancing around in front of the TV. It was smallish, black and white, but I remember it.


I remember the old black and white Zenith I inherited when my mom and dad finally got a color TV for the living room. They were in their early thirties. We had the family over to view the first landing on the moon. I and my cousins were so naive we thought we could run outside and see them there, we waved. It was so cool.


And then there is family TV night. Sunday nights watching Emergency with Randolf Mantooth and crew. (Yes, he is the only one I remembered.) My mom would make popcorn with butter, give us some squares of Hersey's chocolate, and a soda pop. For an hour, my family would all get along. My dad in his chair. My brother near by. I would sit in front of my mom or next to her knowing if I was near in proximity she'd brush my hair or scratch my back when the popcorn was all gone.


I got sent to my room quite a bit as a kid. There I feel in love with The Knights of the Round Table, Vincent Price, all things Guenevere and Sir Lancelot. It was just my thing. I also like to scare the bejeebers out of myself and watch Twilight Zone. Remember Talking Tina? Ugh, gives me creepers to this day. Or how about Outer Limits? If I wasn't listening to Bobby Sherman, Donny Osmond, or the Jackson Five I was watching my Zenith.


I loved Saturday morning cartoons. They kept me company while my parents slept late on weekends.


I don't remember watching TV after I came home from a 9 day stay in the hospital when I was 12 but I'm sure I did. One ugly abdominal tumor gone and some recovery time, I must have.


I loved after school TV and bonded with my girlfriends over All My Children and Luke and Laura.

Wow, now wonder I'm having a hard time letting go of TV. So much history. Through the good and the bad for a very, very long time.

No comments: