Words

Words

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Addiction

It's not what you think. You will not see me on an upcoming episode
of A & E's ever depressing Intervention. I'm not hitting the bottle. I'm not considering nicotine to help me on my weight loss efforts. I'm not huffin' the spray paint. Not smokin' a doobie. Not crack, not crank, not pills, not H, not any of those. It's not even Fran's dark chocolate, grey sea salt encrusted carmels. No, it's TV. Television. Can you believe it?

It's been an on going discussion in our house for about the last four months. Should we or shouldn't we. As in just let the damn cable go for good. I mean we can always pick back up again if we decide we can't live without it, right? But the difficulty I am having agreeing with this decision tells me there is something more to it.

It should be a fairly easy decision. But it's not and I have come to this simple conclusion; TV is a habit that has turned into an addiction.

According to dictionary.com here is the definition of addiction:

the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

Wow, judging from the difficulty of the act of letting go of the cable I am addicted to TV. How blase'. How American. How freaking embarrassing.

(Close your eyes and hear the smarmy music that opened and closed the soap you were raised on, please.)

So as not to bore you to death in one post, tune in tomorrow viewers as we learn the reasons she just can't let go but knows she must...

No comments: