Words

Words

Sunday, February 8, 2009

It's More Than Just Pro's and Con's: The TV Debate Rages on in My Head

Yes, it is. It just is not as simple as that, or really as complicated. But it sure feels that way.
It's not like I'm in 8th grade and trying to decide why to break up with someone. Or choosing between two job offers, or apartments, or cars.

When I think about this entire TV issue I have a plethor of ideas that insist on invading my brain. Here are a few the ideas that are bopping around my brain like kernels of popcorn:

Think of all the projects, things, blogging, e mails, homework, housework, I'd get done if the TV was off for good.

Think of all the books I'd read.

Think of all the walks I'd take.

Think of all the quiet in the house.

Think of the advertising I wouldn't have to listen to or try to ignore. No more drug commercials! That alone should seal the deal.

Think of how much better I would feel about the world, not knowing that a single mom just gave birth to her 14th child. Okay, I would find out about it, but not immediately and not in my face everyday with a moment to moment up date on her latest mega-offer.

Think about the pride that I would feel, when I could tell all my old Starbucks co-workers I joined the cause and followed their lead. They actually have lives. They don't have cable. Some haven't in years. Causes me to feel pride for some crazy reason, along with a small lump in my throat.

Mostly, I think I should think about the bottom line. It's financially savvy. Something I don't have, but would like to possess. The damn bill for our new Verizon seems to have grown exponentially since we acquired it in November. How can it be over $400.00 to catch the bill up that inadvertently was misplaced over Christmas time. That means since November we have spent $800 on cable, Internet, and phone (oh, and cell phone for a short while there as well). Gasp. OMG, that right there should be enough to wallop me up side the head and quickly dial the phone and disconnect the damn thing, right? But it's not.


Like I said, can you say addiction?

In the twelve step program they say acknowledging that you have a problem is the first step. Okay, so here goes; I am powerless over my will of wanting to keep the TV cable and that my life has become unmanageable. There I said it. I don't feel any different. Hmmm. Maybe I'd better start saying it over and over and over. Like 20 minutes every hour on the hour. Isn't that how often advertisers use marketing to convince us of a new idea?

1 comment:

justsomedame said...

Why don't you just start slowly. Don't watch the news or any reality tv. And NO daytime stuff (including Oprah!). So that leaves documentaries and some prime time entertainment and movies. After a while you can cut out the movies, kill the HBO package and save some money there. From there you can kill the cable and just get the network stuff for the good prime time shows like Big Bang Theory. I love Sheldon!