Words

Words

Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Two "P" Words of the Day

It started at school this morning. Walking into class, there she was walking briskly in front of me. Obviously, almost late for 8am in class. What did I see? Not the cute jeans, nicely cut velvet burgundy jacket, or cute boots but this...ahhhhhhh, the dreaded pantie lines. Not just bitty ones, but HUGE ones. Like maybe there was a little spandex woven throughout her jeans and all of those fibers found their way to the edge of her pantie line. Damn, even a skinny girl can't get no love. So, another reason I love my boy shorts and those of you who can manage the thong, well more power to ya.

As for the other "P," can you guess? Those of you who know me, and have hung out we with me have heard me belabor the what seems have to become a common practice in our culture. Okay, so if you've done this, all I ask is that you forgive me now...but why do people think it's okay to wear their PJ's in public????? Why I ask, WHY???? Sweats are bad enough, but pajamas? Can't you just be like the rest of us and throw on a comfy t-shirt and jeans??? Oh, did I mention the public wearing of slippers as well. Honestly, these have become two of my biggest pet peeves. I'm sorry it's just more than casual - it screams, "I just don't care!" Ick, ick, ick.
Now, before you think I'm a complete snob know that I just AM NOT. I think of it like this; you know how you feel when you schlep around all day with no makeup on, hair in a pony, and over sized sweat shirt. Okay hold that feeling in your mind.

Now think of how you feel (about yourself) when you do take the time to do your face, put on some decent clothes (even if they are casual), and do your hair. At least wash it and dry it. You feel better, no? You get treated better for sure. People do react to us based on our appearance. They do, they do, they do. And I firmly believe we act differently when we take care of ourselves.
So, maybe it will remain a mystery but I just don't understand the pajama in public thing (of course unless your a kid!). And frankly, I don't think there will ever be a good enough excuse or reason for me to do so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh sis, I AGREE!!! As you know, I live in So. Calif. where everyone has become so casual anyway. But wearing PJ's, or slippers in public! What's next? Is it a lack of respect? I figure, you have to feel really depressed to go out looking like that. Maybe poor self esteem? All I know is that if I put some makeup on and do something with my hair, and even put on jeans and a t-shirt, I feel better, rather going out just as I was. I couldn't do it!
Remember in the "old days", we used to see signs on the window of stores/restaurants that said "No shoes, No shirts, No service"? I think they need to bring back the sign and add to it " No PJ's, No slippers, No service". Maybe then people will start respecting people and things again!
Your Sissy-in-Law