Words

Words

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Moving Furniture


I grew up in a family of women who routinely moved their furniture. I don't mean away from the wall to vacuum behind it, I mean full on haul it all around and completely re-do, re-innovate the room. Take for example the wild Spanish Mediterranean living room that occupied the house I grew up in during the 1970's. A very long couch, love seat, two large box shaped end tables, a big ole' grandaddy of a coffee table, two matching chairs, an ottoman, and don't forget the TV. Luckily, the living room was BIG.
I can't even tell you how many transfigurations of that furniture the living room held during my stay at that house. Feeling restless, move the furniture. Want new furniture and can't afford it, move the furniture. Mad at your husband, clean and move the furniture. Life gone crazy, move the furniture. Holiday coming, move the furniture. That dark heavy wood was moved too many times to count, but it's what the Goethal women do. It's what my Mom did, often. My Grandmother did it, my Aunt, my now grown cousins, and myself all partake in this family trait. (My sister-in-law shares this family trait!) Even if I move the furniture all about and it only stays for a day or two - it just feels good - somehow therapeutic to do it.

This may be the reason I'm considering moving my blog. I'm bored with it. I want one whose layout is easier to use and offers more features. So, today I'm thinking I can spend my day off (tomorrow) re-arranging my blog. I will probably make an attempt to choose a different lay-out, add more features, etc...move the pieces until I like the new configuration. After all, moving things about just runs in my family

No comments: