Words

Words

Friday, August 7, 2009

The Meet Up or How to Ruin A Blind Date


He arrived about fifteen minutes before she did. A full head of grey hair, parted in the middle, blue eyes, blue polo, nice pair of slacks. He had an air of entitlement about him and I immediately didn't want to wait on him. But since he sat in my section, I had no choice.


He wanted attention I didn't have time to give. I felt as if he had never been to a micro brewery before and it showed. I did the best I could considering the number of tables I had. He wanted a beer and was waiting for another person.


As a waitress I may not hear everything, but I do notice most of what happens and goes on in the area I'm working. The subtle disagreements between husband and wife, the awkward family reunion, the couple meeting to try to come to some agreement regarding divorcee papers, I've experienced them all. We are no longer a private society. The public I serve has come to display every modern day malady right out in front of us all.


She walked in and looked around the restaurant. Tall, with blonde fine straight hair, perfect skin, and blue eyes. She was dressed Portland meets Seattle trendy. She walked up to his table he stood up and shook her hand. My gut told me immediately, blind date, blind date, blind date!


I brought her a menu. They discussed it in front of me, she suggesting the fish and chips and he saying that he doesn't go there. Please! as he ordered a chicken sandwich with bacon, cheese, mayo and a load of fries, oh and another beer. She explained that she had already eaten and just wanted a hard cider. I brought their drinks and left them to talk. I had plenty of other customers to take care of during the dinner rush.


About 15 minutes later, I brought his food. They were casually talking, but I didn't pay attention to their conversation. I came by a bit later and found her with a strange look upon her face. She wasn't upset with me, but I could tell something was off. I asked her if I could bring her anything, and if she was okay. She broke into a smile and replied, "No, I'm good." It was then that I noticed HE WAS ON HIS PHONE TALKING, EAR BUDS IN AND ALL. While he was talking he handed her his camera and nudged it at her to look at this pictures.


At this point I thought I must have been wrong. Maybe they were old friends, or family, but definitely not on a blind date. Who would be rude enough to talk on the phone and make someone they do not know sit there and wait while they have a conversation. (Can I tell you how happy I am NOT to be single.)


As the evening progressed I checked back with them and they were not interested in any more beverages. I brought him the bill and figured I would just have to leave the shift wondering if I was wrong or right. As I was clearing tables, I noticed she was in the restroom and he waited for her. I assumed that was it-I would never know their status. I wasn't about to ask him, he had given me attitude all evening. He never said please, thank you, or used anything resembling manners. I found him pompous.


Just as I had forgotten about them, I turned around from another table to find her sitting there alone. She really seemed so nice and easy going. I leaned over his empty seat and asked her if he was in the restroom. She nodded, yes. I told her I had to ask, "Are you on a blind date?" "Yes," she said, "how did you know?"


I couldn't really explain but having been on a few blind dates myself I know the look. The expression on her face when she arrived and shook his hand. Trying to earnestly smile, look interested, dress feminine but don't over do it, be attentive, and speak up as well.


This is when I spoke up, I told her I thought so, but then when and she broke into my sentence saying..."He was on the phone, he was talking on the phone!"


"I know," I said, "that's when I thought I was wrong. You are right, that is so rude!"


I proceeded to tell her she was way too cute (not to mention at least 10 to 15 years younger than he was) and she was. I told her if she needed a reason to not go out with him again just blame it on me. I thought his phone behavior was completely rude. I told her he never said please or thank you and I just thought she could do better. (Besides he left me a pitiful tip!) She smiled. Unfortunately, I knew exactly how she felt. Another attempt and another failure. And a girl just has to keep on trying, rude dates and all.


I watched them speak for a few minutes outside. They walked away from one another after a handshake and drove off in their separate cars. I hoped she knew how sincere I was. She just seemed like an adorable girl who met a man that thought way too much of himself.

3 comments:

san said...

great story J! Don't give up the dream of writing a novel...you'd be great. Poor girl, it was totally a match.com gone bad. He was a pig & I hated him from the start when you said his gray hair was parted down the middle. Love ya, tty soon. xoxox

WordyGrrl said...

Ditto the above. I really hope you're collecting these observations on humanity for non-fiction purposes.
And you did two good deeds in one: Confirmed to a nice girl that YES, she WAS too good for that pompous pr*ck. And you made sure he got the kick to the curb that he deserved for several reasons.

You go, girl. And keep going!

(Love ya & miss ya!)

Anonymous said...

haha I think I had the same date in 2000!