Words

Words

Monday, November 1, 2010

Experiment ~ Day One


For quite sometime in my household we keep talking about getting rid of cable. That is our Comcast Cable. It seems that no matter which one we try they all end up costing about $120 bucks a month or more. It seems like such a rip off when I count the number of houses that probably have cable just on my block alone, not to mention paying for "high speed" internet.

Today was supposed to be "D" day for the cable. But...we were at breakfast Friday morning and just couldn't agree on what to do. It wasn't that we were arguing, but really I just can't decide either way. Of course the practical part of me says let it go. Let it go. The other side of me says, it's now getting colder. We will be home more. We have shows we like to watch and look forward to them. Football Sundays. I realized the justifications could go on and on and on. So, April told me to pick a number, one or nine. I picked nine. Nine we keep it, one we let it go she decided. It came down to our friendly waitress Hannah then picking one or nine. She picked nine. Ha. So for now, it's still connected.

Here's the thing, I'm going to do my damnest not to turn it on this week. First of all, I want to see if I can. If the quiet in the house will drive me bat shit crazy or not. Second of all, I want to see if I will miss it. I figure a week should tell me. I still have my computer. I still have homework. I still have a good book I'm reading. New recipes to cook, cleaning, visiting with friends, etc...

The funny thing is I realize what a habit has become to have it on in the background. I have always turned it on when I am home alone. This morning after I showered and got dressed I came downstairs and low and behold, even though I had consciously already made this decision I hit the button to turn on the TV. It is just that automatic. I immediately re-hit the button turning it off, but it surprised me that I even did it. Is having the TV on that buried in my subconscious? Seems so.

So, dinner is almost cooked. With April driving an hour each way and working 10 hour days, she will appreciate that. Of course, now there is no excuse for being rushed with any studying. In fact, quite a few projects have already come to mind to complete. So, day one has about 6 more hours in it. Let's see what else comes to light with the TV turned off.

No comments: