Words

Words

Monday, July 20, 2009

Day Trippin'

**
One of my favorite things about living in this part of the country is the close proximity of all things outdoorsy. Just a thirty to sixty minute drive or ferry ride and you can feel far, far away from home. I love it.


On my days off this summer April and I decided we would check out more of the local spots. Last Wednesday we decided to check out a place along U.S. Highway 2 which is just a bit south of us and very east! (Which by the way is known as the state sponsored highway of DEATH according to my friend Cami. She lived in Index and had to drive this daily into work!) I looked on line and realized that the Wallace River ran adjacent to the 2, which meant not only could we check out this local coffee/handmade chocolate spot I had read about months ago, but get our feet into some clear cold water as well. Ya-hoo!


Celestial Coffeehouse & Kreations had a write up in the local paper way back in February of this year. The story described the handmade chocolates they created. I must admit, they sounded delicious and I always love a good latte. It took us about thirty five minutes to arrive in the small town of Start Up. I managed to drive by the spot right as we both saw the sign off to the south side of the 2. I whipped a quick U-Turn and pulled into the gravel parking lot. We parked and walked right on into the shop. They also have a drive thru for those of you too busy to get out and want to avoid geeking out all over the chocolate display.











Okay, so I am bit of clean/neat/no clutter freak when I am shopping, eating, dining. So, I am going to say this and just realize in their defense, it is just not my style - there was stuff everywhere. This leads me to feel a bit visually overwhelmed and cuckoo. Between the seating, display shelves, things hanging from the ceiling I felt a bit overwhelmed but they were so kind and friendly I managed to just kept it at the back of my mind.


The gal at the counter was open and welcoming. I told her I had read about their shop in the newspaper and we were finally getting around to visiting. She apologized for the chocolate case not being fuller but their chocolatier had fallen and broken her wrist the previous week. She was just now having a chance to sit down and start filling up the case. * You can see by the photo, the case still had plenty of yummies to choose from! I had a wonderful iced latte and Dreamsicle Truffle. April chose a dark chocolate, peach, and cayenne pepper truffle. Mine was like having an Orange and Vanilla Creamsicle from yester year. April's had was sweet and warm with a nice kick at the end. They were both scrumptious. We were not disappointed.




Unfortunately, I can't remember this woman's name but she was one of the owners. She asked if we liked caramel. Silly woman! It's probably one of my favortie tastes in the world! She told me that Kathryne (who is the other owner and makes all the hand made chocolates) makes the best carmel in the world. They even use it in their carmel drinks because it tastes so good and mixes so easily. Their claim is that the carmel is so soft even if you have dentures or braces you can eat it! Ha! Thankfully, that is not the case here, but she gave us two to try on her. She had them in milk chocolate and dark chocolate. The chocolate was amazing and the carmel melted in your mouth. Oh so yummy.


*Before we sat down, I could see Kathryne sitting in the kitchen (it's all open) making the chocolates with her cast on her left arm. I smiled at her and inquired as to how she managed to break her wrist. Sitting in his high chair two feet to her left was Jackson, her 18 month old adorable grandson. Somehow, at home she managed to trip over him which lead to a flying trip down the stairs and her broken wrist. Ugh, I hate when the stories for broken bones are so simple! I related my broken left foot story from simply leaving my house and landing on my foot wrong years ago. Embarrassing.




We sat down at a table to enjoy our treats. Within a few minutes, little blue eyed Jackson came walking over and began playing with his motorcycles and hot wheels, where he promplty handed one of the the choppers to April. He was very friendly and cute. He was trying to play "cars" with us but would get momentarily moments of shyness and go back to the couch where all his cars were located. He was very fasinated with April's ankle tattoo and the paw prints on the back of her calves. It was funny to watch him try to secretly take a good look at her legs while he went back and forth from the couch to table and chairs we occupied. We enjoyed a good laugh with him as he began naming the colors of the t-shirt and shorts he was wearing. The t-shirt was yellow and the shorts red but to him everything was yellow! Same for the scarves and such he pointed out to us. He was sweet and friendly. When it came time to leave he waved and told us, "Bye-bye."


We walked about 30 feet over to a cherry stand and bought some amazing cherries to take home. Mount Rainer and Red cherries that were absolutely perfect! So much healtheir for you than chips!! We ended up going back in to grab a business card and ask if they knew a spot where we could get our feet wet in the river.



At this point Kathryn came out and asked April where she purchased her "Adorkable" t-shirt she was wearing. She said her partner had told her she needed that shirt for herself. At this point I realized we were supporting a "family" owned business. Always makes me feel good to support the girls and boys of the rainbow club.


With their directions in mind I got back on the U.S. 2 and headed farther east in search of Big Eddie. To be continued...


**Celestial Coffeehouse and Kreations is located at 36904 SR2, Startup, Wa 98293
Owner; Kathryne Paz 360-799-0569

No comments: