Words

Words

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

We Who Wait

I haven't always been a waitress. I've done many things to earn my keep, most of them quite rewarding. But, I have to say sometimes dealing with the public is sooooooo very disheartening.

In addition to my micobrew's logo, I want my shirt to say the following; self employed 14 years as a successful massage therapist, going rate $100 per session. I am educated, yes I have attended college. I am also currently enrolled in courses that would probably make your head roll. I have maintained an A average and made the dean's list. Oh, and I have a degree. I just decided that working in education with politics, parents, and bad pay was not for me. I have been married and divorced and am currently madly in love with my girlfriend. Oh, and yes that means I am gay. I am not interested in you, but thanks.

It is not my long term life goal to serve you, but I try to have fun while being here. I will greet you, look you in the eye, and try to make sure you are happy with your service and meal. Even when you don't give me eye contact, talk on the phone while I wait to take your order or come over in earnest when I see your hand wave, only to stand and wait for you to acknowledge my presence.

So, here's the thing. Someday, I will not work here. With any luck, I will be Nurse Jamie, RN. You may find me at your bedside during a very turbulent time in your life. You may find me handing instruments to your surgeon as he cuts you open to repair your insides. With any luck, no matter how you treated me as a waitress I will continue to treat you just as I did when you were my customer. With a warm greeting, a kind heart, and all the humanity I can muster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a rockstar Jamie! I'm so proud of you for working your ass off and not developing the shitty attitude I have about school!

PS LOVE your blog! You're a wonderful writer!