Words

Words

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Eve: An Adventure in Vegetarian Dining

Okay, Okay, Okay, I know. Those vegetarians who tell you tofurkey is delicious are out of their iron deprived minds. I couldn't agree more, but I have to confess I LOVED the vegetarian dinner I was served on Christmas Eve.
Yes, it's true Virginia, there is a vegetarian alternative that was absolutely frickin delicious. In fact, I got on-line that very night and found out exactly just where I could procure the item served for myself. http://www.fieldroast.com/recipes.htm It was that good.
Let me back track a bit. Our gracious friends Andrew and his wife Amy invited us for Christmas eve dinner. Not sure of our ability to even get there with the weather storming away, we were glad to be invited. Our last dinner at their home provided us with much laughter, another knock out vegetarian meal (featuring Amy's secret, delicious, healthy sauce), and sparklers in the backyard to cap off our evening. Needless to say, we were looking forward to spending the evening with them.
So, we arrive despite the snow and rain. Thanks to a front wheel drive Acura that just keeps going. Amy and Andrew greet us with open arms and welcome us into their home. It's about 6pm so we sit down to dinner and are immediately served a mouth watering salad. Yes, there is such a thing as a mouth watering salad. Gourmet greens, avocado, fresh pomegranate, toasted sunflower seeds, balsamic vinegar, with a tad of agave sweeter. Delicious. I'm going to need to find another word to describe this dinner!!!
Once we have gobbled up our salad, out comes the main dishes. "Field Roast," roasted vegetables, organic wild rice, mushroom gravy, and fresh cranberries. Now, you are wondering what is vegetarian about Field Roast but it is a company out of Seattle that makes grain meat. Yes, meats out of grain. Let me tell you, it was so light and scrumptious I could have eaten the entire loaf. It was surrounded by a light pastry shell with the goods wrapped inside. Earthy, garlicky, and down right just as good as any old roast I've ever consumed. (As a side note, I have never been a big fan of roasts. You know those veins and fat and all, ugh.) My roast aversion aside, even my girlfriend who is a beef lover ate it up in no time. She even wanted more.
All I kept thinking through dinner was this; Happy, Happy, Happy tongue! My little taste buds were dancing with joy. My tummy happy, full but lite. No indigestion. No heart burn. In fact the next day when we had traditional dinner. Due to the vegetarian meal I consumed the night before I felt light enough to over indulge! Bring on the turkey, stuffing, gravy, and potatoes! Feeling light is not easy for a girl of my size and height. I swear this vegetarian dinner not only satiated my gourmet loving taste buds but was one I vow to make again.

No comments: